Before Choctaw was chartered, the area included a part of William McClure’s 7C Ranch and was known for a trading post and a camping spot near a spring.
A community emerged on the east 80 acres (320,000 m2) of land John S. Muzzy claimed in the 1889 land run and received a postal designation in early 1890.
The town incorporated in April 1904. When Oklahoma became a state in 1907, the town had 230 residents, four churches, a school, a bank, a newspaper and telephone service. By 1909, the town had three gins.
Currently, the city is known for its high quality healthcare system, one of the state’s finest school districts, and excellence in police and fire department performance. Read less –